Tuesday 12 July 2011

Week 6.5

Well I'm back to feeling good again! The pain lasted for about a week for me, maybe a week and a half. I'm not sure exactly what it was due to. I normally have colitis and occaisionally gastritis, which was where the pain was. If the worms are pro-inflamatory maybe they just increased the inflammation in these areas? I've heard that the hook worms can cause a bit of blood loss (though I'm not sure how accurate that is or when its supposed to happen). I will say that during that painful week, I think I was passing blood from the upper GI because all my BMs were very dark, almost black and then when the pain subsided, I noticed they returned back to their normal colour.
This past week, since the majority of the pain subsided, I've just been a little bit crampy and I'm still "perma" bloated. All my clothes which were too big two weeks ago, are now tight and uncomfortable. I don't miss bloating at all.
I've also noticed that still my arthritis is still strangely absent, apart from a minior incident here or there. And I have this random swollen ankel that started 6 months ago. It wasn't brought on by anything I can think of. I didn't hurt myself; it just randomly started swelling which I noticed because it felt tight and uncomfortable. It swelled every day consistently for six months. During the honeymoon period (or the bounce), I notice the swelling just disappeared. Left as suddenly as it came. Two weeks ago it came back (coincidence with the proinflamatory phase perhaps?). I think its going away again and I feel its because of the worms.
Also, I thought I might be feeling arthritis in my back, but after talking to a massage therapist today, it might not be. He seems to think that my hip joint is locked which is putting strain on my back. I'm going to make a chiropractic appointment next week. I'm waiting to see a rheumatologist but... I'm thinking now that by the time I actually get in, my problems will be gone thanks to the hookworms.

My spirits very high right now. Overall, I'm very excited. I finish my class at the end of the month. My marks are good and I only have one major project left and a final exam. Then I have the whole month of August off again before school re-starts in September. I'm going to relax, visit friends and go to the beach and get some colour.
I'm a bit nervous. This fall term I have a completely full course load. I've been full time the whole year, but I have a couple extra courses I'm taking this year (7 vs 10). By the time September comes, it will have been three months with the hookworms. I know I will be feeling so well, that I will be able to complete all the work I need to. :)  This treatment has provided me with so much hope. I can actually plan for the future and see myself living out all the things I want to accomplish, as if I'm not limited or worried I might not be well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment