Thursday 9 June 2011

Week 2

So far, this being the second week since being inocculated with hookworms, everything seems pretty much uneventful. My arthritis is still virtually non-existant. All I experience is maybe a few seconds to a minute of minor pain in my joints, a few times a week but that's all. Its also been 8.5 weeks since my remicade and no real signs of  a flare yet. I'm pretty stunned actually. If this is the honeymoon period, I wonder how long it'll last. I usually start to flare around 4-6 weeks after a remicade influsion.
The only thing I have noticed is that I'm starting to feel more fatigued, which started last weekend (today is thursday). But again, I can't attribute that to anything specifically because normally I feel pretty tired and need alot of sleep.

I was in the doctors office last week and I was looking at one of the health magazines in the reading room. In it there was an article about a man who was treating his IBD sucessfully with roundworms. That's so cool. I get excited when I see the media paying attention to this form of treatment. Its infuriating why there is not more public knowledge about it. I was surfing the net and found that autoimmunetherapies.com are actually offering a money back guarantee for individuals who have relapsing and remitting MS because  they've had positive results in 100% of patients. How is this being kept secret from the world?!

I also found some articles online which were promoting the development  of vaccines against helminths! I think that's astounding and very scary. The articles talk about how minor the effects of helminthic infection, how you need a heavy infection to even feel most sypmtoms (greater than 500 worms) and how they can improve allergies etc, and how they fit in the hygiene hypothesis. Then they introduce the vaccine. I think its targetted more towards the eek factor then anything rational. Just thinking how pharmaceutical companies could profit off this vaccine makes me feel sick. First, profit from the vaccine itself, then profit from all the drugs used to treat resulting autoimmune diseases and allergies arising from the loss of helminths around the world. Its not enough these diseases and allergies are more prominent in developed countries, let's bring them to undeveloped countries too!

I strongly feel helminthic treatment should be legal. People should be given accurate information and be able to make decisions for themselves. If we want to infect ourselve with parasites because it makes us feel better that's our choice! At least we won't have to worry about getting cancer from the hookworms or dying from an infection because our immune system has been purposefully suppressed for years!

Anyway, I've been feeling really good so far and am hoping it will continue to last. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment